Supportive Care & Survivorship Clinic
We believe that treating the whole person is as important as treating the cancer itself. That’s why we have a team of professionals, all in one place, to provide supportive care alongside your primary cancer team. UAB Medicine’s Supportive Care and Survivorship Clinic helps patients manage the symptoms and side effects often associated with serious illnesses such as cancer, advanced heart failure, and advanced lung disease. Whether patients have completed or are still receiving treatment, our goal is to help them fulfill their maximum physical, emotional, spiritual, vocational, and social potential. The clinic is staffed by a diverse group of professionals, including:
- Physicians and nurse practitioners who have special expertise in managing complex symptoms such as depression, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, loss of appetite, and pain syndromes.
- Nurses who support patients by facilitating the clinic visits and responding to phone calls. They are the front line of patient care.
- Physical therapists who develop individualized programs for each patient to help improve coordination, balance, strength, endurance, flexibility, and range of motion.
- Counselors who are experienced in designing counseling sessions that meet the specific needs of each patient. Individual, couples, and family sessions are available.
- Nutritionists who have expertise in helping ensure that patients with serious illness receive proper nourishment.
- Massage therapists who are trained in many types of massage, including oncology massage, which is a specialized approach that supports the body’s health before, during, and after cancer treatment.
- Chaplains who confidentially and compassionately support the emotional and spiritual needs of patients and their loved ones, regardless of their faith.
Referrals to the Supportive Care and Survivorship Clinic can be made by any treating physician or nurse, and individuals may self-refer as well. The clinic accepts a wide range of insurance plans and offers flexible appointment scheduling based on patients’ needs.
The clinic is located on the second floor of The Kirklin Clinic of UAB Hospital. To make an appointment, please call 205-801-8624.