Cancer Support Groups
O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center offers several support in-person and virtual groups for people with cancer, survivors, and family and friends touched by the disease.
The O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center oncology support group meetings are for people with cancer, survivors, and family and friends touched by the disease. The group meets the first Tuesday of each month beginning 2/7 via Zoom.
2023 Support Group Dates | Time 12pm
- February 7
- March 7
- April 4
- May 2
- June 6
- July 11
- August 1
- September 5
- October 3
- November 7
- December 5
12:00 PM – 12:30 PM: Educational presentation
12:30 PM – 1:00 PM: Open discussion
UAB Otolaryngology, Oral Surgery, and Radiation Oncology jointly host a head and neck cancer support group. This support group is an opportunity for our patients and their loved ones to hear valuable information from our interdisciplinary experts; connect with other survivors and their loved ones; and talk through any issues they may be facing.
The support group meetings are specifically for:
- Patients diagnosed with cancer affecting the head and neck.
- Survivors of head and neck cancer.
- Family and friends touched by the disease.
Each session meets both via Zoom and in-person at the O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center.
For additional information, including ongoing support group communications, meeting details, and Zoom link, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- September 21, 2023: Medical Team Introduction and Patient Support/ Experiences with the Sullivan family
- October 19, 2023: Navigating Insurance and Financial Aspects of Head and Neck Cancer with Melissa Salamon, ESQ
- November 16, 2023: Nutrition during the Holidays with Andrea Tew, MS, RD
- January 18, 2024: Patient and Caregiver Panel
- February 15, 2024: Processing Trauma from Cancer with Tiffany Hauser and Tiffany Elliot, LMFT
- March 21, 2024: How to Deal with Insomnia with Stephen Thomas, Ph.D.
- April 18, 2024: Benefits of Movement, Massage Therapy and Manual Therapy with Sarah Mansfield, MS, CEP, NBC-HWC; Lizzy Bohorfoush, DPT; and Nicole Morris, LMT
- May 16, 2024: Mindfulness, Meditation, and Coping Skills with Christina Pierpaoli-Parker, Ph.D.
4:00 p.m. Introduction
4:10 p.m. Presentation
4:45 p.m. Q&A Discussion
5:00 p.m. Conclude
The Pancreatobiliary Disease Center support group is an online support group for those with diseases of the pancreas or bile duct. We provide educational material, community resources, and an opportunity for members to share their experiences. We hope that our members will feel a sense of community and increase their knowledge base.
UAB Neuro-Oncology is striving to build a sense of community through an online platform to allow UAB Neuro-Oncology patients to connect with peers who are going through similar experiences.
UAB Neuro-Oncology Virtual Support Group’s purpose is to build a sense of community through digital meet-ups and to allow UAB Neuro-Oncology patients and caregivers to connect with peers who are going through similar experiences. The group meets every third Wednesday of the month at Noon via Zoom.