O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center announces recipients of cancer-related research grants through O’Neal Invests
The O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center at UAB is pleased to announce its latest O’Neal Invests grant awards. O’Neal Invests funds UAB investigators initiating new cancer-related projects to do key preliminary work to enable competitive extramural applications. Applications for the seventh grant cycle were submitted in Spring 2023.
The three awardees receiving funding through O’Neal Invests include:
- Markus Bredel, MD, PhD
- Department of Radiation OncologyPre-R01
- Haploinsufficiency of NFKBIA Subverts Dynamic Chromatin Regulation during Gliomagenesis
- Ksenia Matlawska-Wasowska, PhD
- Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Molecular Regulation of T-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Infiltration into the Meninges
- Mark Walter, PhD
- Department of Microbiology
- Structural Analysis of pan RAS Inhibitors for Pancreatic Cancer
Catalyst grants are for $50,000 for one year. Pre-R01 grants are for $160,000 over two years.
There are two O’Neal Invests RFAs per year, in the spring and fall. Cancer Center membership is not a requirement to apply, but awardees must become members. The grants are peer-reviewed by a panel of UAB faculty.
In addition to these three grants, two additional awards were funded through the generosity of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation of Alabama and the Mike Slive Foundation. To read more about these grants, click here and here. There are two O’Neal Invests RFAs per year, in the spring and fall. The new RFA for O’Neal Invests applications will be available September 1, 2023.