Comprehensive Ovarian Cancer Program
How to Refer a Patient
UAB Medicine understands the urgency that comes with a potential ovarian cancer diagnosis, and we want to be the first choice to care for your patient. We are committed to evaluating your patients within one business day when necessary.
For urgent referrals or inpatient transfers, please call UAB MIST (Medical Information Service via Telephone) at 1-800-UAB-MIST (1-800-822-6478) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. UAB MIST is a toll-free, 24-hour service that connects physicians anywhere in the country with UAB Medicine specialists.
Online provider access to UAB electronic medical records. Click here to log in or request access.
View all the ongoing clinical trials at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
The mission of the UAB Medicine Comprehensive Ovarian Cancer Program is to improve the lives of women affected by or at risk for ovarian cancer. This navigator-driven, patient-centric program is the first of its kind in the Southeast and centralizes important ancillary aspects of ovarian cancer care for patients and their families, including genetic counseling, supportive care, and nutritional counseling. Patients are treated at the UAB Women & Infants Center, a beautiful and modern clinical, chemoinfusion, and inpatient facility designed and dedicated specifically for women’s health. We offer the latest minimally invasive and open surgical techniques, including robotic procedures and complex radical surgery
Our clinical care is delivered by a dedicated team of physicians trained in surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation, advanced practice providers, nurses, and support staff. Our experience is evident in our statistics: From 2010 to 2016 alone, we treated more than 2,880 patients with ovarian cancer, and we have enrolled some 300 patients in clinical trials. Our physicians have access to a large portfolio of research studies, which gives many patients the opportunity to receive cutting-edge treatments often not available at other medical centers.
UAB Medicine is nationally and internationally renowned for our care of patients with ovarian cancer. We were one of only five institutions to be awarded a Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) in ovarian cancer by the NIH. Coupled with the region’s only NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, our patients have access to the most advanced cancer treatments and research available. And through our Lynne Cohen Preventive Care Program for Women’s Cancer, we also offer comprehensive risk assessments and prevention strategies for ovarian, breast, and uterine cancer, arming women with knowledge to make informed decisions about their future risk and care options. We are dedicated to improving treatments and ultimately finding a cure for women’s cancers.
The UAB Comprehensive Ovarian Cancer Program’s services include:
- Clinical care coordinator
- Nutrition counseling
- Spiritual support
- Fertility preservation
- “Previvorship” program
- Palliative/supportive care
- Naturopathic medicine services such as herbal and botanical preparations, dietary supplements, physical therapy, exercise therapy, hydrotherapy, cryotherapy, life counseling regarding exercise, improved sleep, and stress reduction, acupuncture, and chiropractic care
- Oncology rehabilitation, including lymphedema, neuropathy, occupational therapy, and home health evaluations
- Mind/body medicinal treatment such as pet therapy, musical therapy, counseling services to the individual, couple, and/or family, relaxation and guided imagery, support groups, and caregiver support groups
- Supportive care services such as financial assistance, medication assistance, lodging and transportation, home visits, hospice care, palliative care, durable medical equipment (prosthesis), woman-to-woman mentoring program, and access to online education